Monday, May 11, 2009

Matron Goddess: Artemis

April 25th 2009

Once upon a time when I was but a wee fluffy baby Pagan and hardly fit to be around other folk, I rediscovered the Greek pantheon in all it's glory. During my late years in grade school I had found this book in the library at Greenwood with gorgeous full page art and stories about the gods. The entire family tree, such as could be mapped, was displayed through the front inside cover and first page. Entranced, I must have taken that book out a dozen times and I wrote my gr 7 oral presentation about the gods. While discovering Paganism and taking my first tentative steps into a whole other way of thinking during my middle years of highschool I went back to deities that were familiar. It was easier for me to wrap my mind around an entire pantheon than a dual split God/Goddess match. I've come a long way since then and my view of diety is much different but there's still one Goddess that manages to reach out to me, or me to her, when I really really need it.

Despite being married and having a child I've always felt that Artemis was the Goddess for me. She's the Goddess for strong, independent women, women in trouble or danger, women like me. Fall isn't a good time for me to be away but thankfully I'll be back by November which is usually my worst time. I think that if I also re-commit myself to my Pagan beliefs, my Goddess included, that I'll have an extra well of strength to draw on during what is going to be a difficult time. Changing my way of thinking will help me get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment