Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Princess KickAss~Warrior Musings

The other day, while getting ready for a friend's wedding, Gabe called me "Princess" while I was getting all fancied up. I later told a different friend that I was secretly thrilled about it, and of course he asked, why secretly?
I thought about it for a moment before replying that the princess archetype has always been one of helplessness, impossible beauty, grace and kindness. I like some of the individual Disney princesses, but I hate what they've done with them as merchandise. My friend pointed out that not all princesses are like that, that there have been a few who have kicked some serious ass, like Fiona from Shrek, Kida from Atlantis and in real history, Boudicca. He then dubbed me Princess Kickass, and I kinda like it. ^__^

Reminding myself of history's warriors, both male and female, might be a good place to start, and surrounding myself with thier stories and images wouldn't be a bad place to go either. But what counts as a Warrior? I try to remember what I read in Amanda's journal but I can't quite; someone who puts the needs and safety of their community above their own self and needs, even above that of their own family. I'll have to go back and look it up, maybe post the comment here for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment