Monday, August 10, 2009

The Book of Night with Moon

Back when I was in highschool I discovered this little gem of a book by Diane Duane. Written from a cat's perspective it's witty and captivating. Within the books pages I found several passages that really resonate with me and have since I first read them. My first inkling of the Warrior is in there, a side of myself, a face, that I'm seeking to reveal. The concept of All-In and the Warrior go hand in hand, but I'm still figuring out how to join them together. I don't think being a teacher is going to be it, but it's a step in the right direction.

From page 12: The Meditation
"I will meet the cruel and the cowardly today, liars and the envious, the uncaring and unknowing: they will be all around. But their numbers and their carelessness do not mean I have to be like them. For my own part, I know my job; my comission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always."

From pg 52:
"In Life's name, and for Life's sake, I assert that I will employ the Art that is Its gift in Life's service alone. I will guard growth and ease pain. I will fight to preserve what grows and lives in its own way: nor will I change any creature unless its growth and life, or that of the system of which it is a part, are threatened. To these ends, in the practise of my Art, I will ever put aside fear for courage, and death for life, when it is fit to do so-looking always toward the Heart of Time, where all our sundered times are one, and all our myriad worlds lie whole, in That from Which they proceeded."

From 242:
"Why bother?" Arhu burst out. "It wont make a difference! It wont stop the way things are!"
"It will," Rhiow said. "Someday...though noone knows when. This IS the Fight, the battle under the Tree. Don't you see that? The Old Tom fought it once, and died fighting, and came back with the Queen's help and won it after he'd already lost. ALL these fights are the Fight. Stand back, do nothing, and you ARE the Old Serpent. And it's easy to do that here." She looked around at the place full of hurrying people, most of them studiously ignoring each other. "Here especially. Humans kill each other in the street every day for money, or food, or just for fun...The habit of doing nothing or of cruelty, believing the worst about ourselves, gets hard to break. You meet People like that every day. It's in the Meditation: ask the Whisperer. But you don't have to be the way THEY are. [...]"

No comments:

Post a Comment