Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I am grateful...

Today I want to make mention of someone who's been instrumental the past couple of years to my physical and mental/emotional health and wellbeing; my doula Katie. I will be eternally grateful to her for her patience and understanding, her gentleness and her strength during my loooooong and difficult labour with Gabe and for her support during my PPD afterwards. We kept in touch and last summer when I was battling with myself over my abortion and hating my body SO MUCH for getting pregnant, her bellydance class allowed me to find a way to accept my body again, to treat it kindly, to nourish and strengthen it. Again, Katie's patience and understanding were instrumental to my continuing clumsy attempts to find grace in something I felt was broken. I didn't feel guilty or dirty or broken when I danced; I felt graceful and beautiful, even sensual. If Katie hadn't been the instructor I don't think I would have gone and I don't want to think about where I'd be today without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment