Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fall Harvest today

To get away from the endless homework this weekend I took a few hours this afternoon at the U and hung out at some workshops and interesting things offered by the Anishnabe Students Association. I got to listen to an elder talk for a while about various teachings and had the chance to ask about Gabe's Eagle feather. A friend gave it to me a couple of years ago to hold on to for him until he gets big enough to take care of it himself.

The Elder told me that the Eagle feather is sacred because when the Creator wants to look in on us, It does so in that form, or sends the Eagle in Its' stead. The Eagle has the widest vision and can look over a lot of creation that way, or zoom in with its' excellent sight. Sometimes we can feel like we're soaring like an Eagle, when we get a little bit of knowledge. Then we are humbled by how little we know, or some circumstance, and become like the Mouse and are small and afraid. Hopefully a teacher will come along, someone to guide us on the true path to widsom, one of our hoofed brothers or sisters, and then we'll live and grow. Eventually we'll get close to the Northern lands, the place of the white Wolf and white Bear, and to prove it we get white in our hair. Mine have already started to show, though I pluck them. I think I'll stop that. The Elder said that each feather comes at the right time and has a special meaning, and that whenever it's used it calls the spirit of the Eagle to come be with us. It doesnt' matter how many feathers you have, only that you honour and take care of each of them. Warriors used to get feathers for shows of bravery or acts in battle, but in a modern context, an Eagle feather could be awarded to someone who's won their battle with drugs and/or alcohol. I think I should have one for kicking the crap out of my post partum depression and abortion issues. ;)

Anyway, so that's what I learned today. I'm now full of sun and food and headachy. Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment