Tuesday, March 12, 2013

So there's this knighthood

A while back I noticed something new popping up on my FB feed-an ATC knighthood. I'm intrigued but I haven't 'liked' the page yet. I'm wary, honestly. The only other knighthoods I'm familiar with are the Knights Templar, and the Salvation Army. Matching faith with the sword, metaphysical or otherwise, has historically lead to a lot of death and destruction. Knighthoods are a Christian thing, a way of pushing the faith and defending it (I'm guessing from people who didn't take kindly to being forced to convert). I know that the ATC's knighthood is not going to be pushing anything because that's simply not the Wiccan way of doing things, and yes, Wicca does need defending. But a knighthood?


The ATC already is borrowing a couple of things from Christianity in order to lend itself mainstream credibility; tabernacle and church. A tabernacle is literally a dwelling place of the divine and comes from Hebrew. It's morphed in Christianity to the place where they store the body of Christ aka the communion wafers. And well, church? The word is laden with it's own baggage. From Wikipedia: A church is technically a term for a gathering of citizens in a town (origins from ancient Greek), but is commonly understood by the Christian adoption of the word as gathering of Christians in a building or structure to facilitate worship and the meeting of its members, specifically in Christianity." Many Pagans don't like the word and are uncomfortable with it. I've spoken to not a few since coming to the island and, upon hearing about the ATC and the Circle's association with it, said they were hesitant to join because of that word. We talked about this a bit one night with the Arch Priestess, Bella, and with others, and the thinking is that because Paganism, and particularly Wicca, is so new, and still so misunderstood, it's better to have that protection, that legitimacy, than not. That was the thinking 30-ish years ago, and while Wicca has come a LONG way since there, there's still a long way to go.

Another thing, for me, is the difference between 'warrior' and 'knight'. I asked my other mentor about it, the difference between the two, because I knew there WAS a difference, but I couldn't articulate it. This is what she said (posted with her permission): A knight holds loyalty to a system, to a ruler or a structure. She is bound to act a certain way in accordance with a certain code, and honor is defined by adhering to the code no matter what the circumstance. When she leads, she does so by fiat and in accordance with the law.

The warrior's loyalty is to a community or a people. Her duty is to protect those people as well as she is able. The only code of the warrior is loving service, so that circumstance may prompt actions outside the expected law, so she can't have loyalties to structures or leaders. When she leads, she does so by example.


That's it, in a nutshell. My clan is that of the warriors of the Ojibwe peoples; the marten. My names, both in Anishnabe and my secret Craft name, relate to the eagle, leader of the Bird clan. In Pathfinder and D&D, while I'm drawn to the paladin class, I've always felt the rules and oaths too confining. In my heart, I'm a warrior. My loyalty is to my community of friends and family, and to women and children who need protection and whatever loving service I can provide. I'll be watching to see what the knighthood *does*, but I'll be staying over here in the shadowy place where the forest meets the edge of the battlefield.

4 comments:

  1. There are actually several Pagan Knighthoods out there, though. There's the Order of Herne (I think) that I read about in the book "The Pagan Man" by Isaac Bonewits. And closer to home, there is the Order of Scathach, headed by Kerr Cuhulainn in Vancouver. I know quite a few members of Scathach, and my understanding of their teachings is that they are a really good group to be with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mentioned this to me before, probably at coffee. Maybe I'm just disappointed that something I thought was perfect for me, isn't. I suppose it doesn't matter who's knighthood it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your reluctance to use the term 'knight', and probably share it. I ID more with warrior, because I understand that law follows social change -- not the other way around.

    As for finding something you think is perfect for you...well, that's going to happen. It's actually very rare that someone will find a religious structure that works for them 100%. We have to just muddle through with what's out there.

    I'm with the ATC because I want something to raise my future spawn in, and I just don't jive with druidry, I've discovered. ATC seems pretty kid-friendly, and it's an environment I can see raising my kids in.

    Do I agree with 100% of what they do? Gods no! I agree with maybe 50%, 60% on a good day.

    And that's fine, because the religious group I feel the most kinship with (about 80%) isn't exactly kid friendly, you know? It's also pretty small; ATC is a fairly good size.

    Really, the question comes down to "Are the things I disagree with dealbreakers?" If they are, then try to change them or move on. If not, then muddle.

    Anyway. I offer hugs, if wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm muddling along alright. The knighthood seems to be a very small attachment to the ATC, not something that is, or will become, a part of the core. I agree probably with 80-90% of the ATC ordains, statement of purpose, etc. This one thing threw me a bit, that's all.

    ReplyDelete