Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pagan Blogging Week 2-Athame

Altar tools are one thing I think every Pagan has in common. Every tradition has their own tools for honouring Deity, directing energy, consecration, etc. In Wicca the most common tools are the chalice, pentacle, wand, and athame. When I first became Pagan I was excited by all the new stuff (shallow, I know!) and was determined to set up an altar as soon as possible. The top of one of my dressers was cleared off and I added what I could scrounge from home; an unused wineglass was my chalice, a teacup saucer was my pentacle, some plain stones were painted with elemental markings for each quarter, and various pretty semi-precious stones were added for flair. What I lacked, however, was a wand or athame. It's not like my parents had a spare dull knife just laying around, so I headed down to the mall looking for one.

The Soo isn't a big city, so the selection is limited when it comes to places to find magical tools. At the time I think the only shop in town was The Zodiac Circle, and I didnt' even know it existed. I ended up in The Keyman; they specialize in cutting keys and engraving things, including pen-knives, letter openers and mugs. The athame I bought and use to this day is actually a letter opener, and a really ugly one at that. So ugly, infact, and so rushed was the purchase that I didn't realize how ugly it was until later, that I covered the hilt in green embroidery thread and painted black what was left. Fugliest. Athame. Ever.


Every time I use it I'm reminded of the importance of taking my time and making sure I feel right about things before proceeding. It's a perfectly serviceable tool, so I wont be getting a new one any time soon (plus money is tight and I can't justify buying something like this that will put us back when I don't need too) but I really think I'm more of a wand person. I perfer the feel of wood to steel or stone, and would honestly love a staff. Until such time as my athame leaves on its own, however, it's mine for keeps.

What about you? What was your first tool? Most memorable? Wand or athame? Do they do the same thing, just differently, or should you have one of each?

No comments:

Post a Comment